2012년 11월 29일 목요일

Time Travel: UChicago

Prompt #5: In the spirit of adventurous inquiry, pose a question of your own. If your prompt is original and thoughtful, then you should have little trouble writing a great essay. Draw on your best qualities as a writer, thinker, visionary, social critic, sage, citizen of the world, or future citizen of the University of Chicago; take a little risk, and have fun.


Time Travel



                Is it possible to travel through time? Time travel has been one of the most popular themes in Science Fiction. Going to the future is easy; we are all doing that just now, in the rate of one second per one second. All we need to do is making the rate faster. According to Einstein’s theory of relativity, we can do exactly that by approaching the speed of light, and we would be able to travel to the future. Going to the past is a little bit trickier. Hopefully, Einstein’s field equations do not explicitly forbid time travel to the past: there are situations in which time travel to the past is possible. But that leads us to think what would happen if we had time travel. Such as the famous grandfather paradox: what would happen if I killed my past self (or my ancestor)? Will I be able to even perform the act?




                The most convenient solution to this paradox is the parallel universe hypothesis. This hypothesis states that as I travel back to the past, I move into not only a different era but also a different universe that would have different consequences. But because the definition of parallel universes is that they are exactly the same with the current universe before the moment of time travel, the parallel universe me is ready to time travel into another parallel universe as I get ready to travel into the parallel universe. This means whatever I will have done in the parallel universe, the outcome must be the same with my original universe and the two universes must be undistinguishable. Therefore, I am forced to conclude that another me had traveled from another parallel universe to the past of my original universe, and therefore this hypothesis does not really solve any paradoxes. If I killed past me in a parallel universe, someone should have killed me in the past-that someone being me from another parallel universe.

                Another solution is to accept the deterministic nature of time travel. If I go back to the past and attempt to kill myself, I will fail, as I am a living proof of it. I have survived attempted murders from myself in the past, or I will not even exist. This is interesting considering that I know every move the past me will make, but still fail to kill myself. But this hypothesis also has a serious problem: quantum mechanics. Although in the macroscopic world the universe seems to be governed by Newtonian, deterministic laws, actually we live in a quantum world where one can only predict the probabilities of something happening, and never the actual event. But consider this situation: I conduct a quantum mechanics experiment, and the future me gives me the data to the experiment even before I start the experiment. If my experiment runs exactly as the data, quantum mechanics, not deterministic by nature, will be proven deterministic, which would mean the collapse of physics as we know it. But if the data and my experiment do not match, this hypothesis about time travel is wrong.

                I have not been able to conclude what would happen if time travel to the past existed. It is surprising to see a phenomenon predicted by the equation that most accurately depicts space and time in the history of mankind has so many paradoxes that cannot be easily solved.

댓글 2개:

  1. You have a talent for technical writing. It makes just enough sense to me to not stop me from reading. You have obviously thought a lot about this in the past (or the future). I wonder if you have seen the very amazing and recent film "Looper." If not, you will love it. If you have seen it, you probably loved it. Another good one that looks at time travel comically is "Safety Not Guaranteed." Both of these films are very new and highly rated.

    답글삭제
    답글
    1. I watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" a few days ago! It was more about people than time travel, but I still loved it. Thanks for the recommendation.

      삭제